I Have a Domain Name at Yahoo.com. Should I use Hostgator Web Hosting?
It is certainly possible to use a Domain name provided by another domain name registrar even if you host your website through Hostgator. So if you have a domain name at yahoo.com, you can certainly make use of this for your Hostgator web hosting. But this can be done only after you modify your name servers. Take note that Hostgator cannot modify the name servers for you, but they will provide you with instructions on how you can do this on your own. Refer below for instructions on how you can change your name servers with Yahoo.com.
Find Out the Name Servers for Your Hosting Account
The first thing that you will do is to determine which name servers will you be using for your Hostgator hosting account. This will vary according to the server type and the hosting type as well. There are instructions on the Support section of Hostgator on how you can determine your name servers. The best way to this is to actually refer to the welcome email that you will receive from Hostgator, the first time you sign up for their web hosting services.
For those who availed of the shared web hosting plans of Hostgator, including the Baby, Hatchling as well as the Business plan, the best way to know what your name server is to check out the name servers that is displayed on your control panel.
Changing the Name Servers
So after you have determined the name servers for your hosting account, you should now be ready to change the name servers. Here is how to do it:
- First, log in to your account at Yahoo where you will then be taken to the business control panel.
- While on the control panel, refer to the section where you can manage the “advanced DNS settings.”
- After that, click on the link that says “change name servers”.
- You will then have to delete the current name servers listed on the page and then replace them with the ones that you found on the welcome email that you got from Hostgator.
- After you have typed in the name server, click “submit.”
- Right after you click on submit, you will then be redirected to the page for Advanced DNS Settings where you will find your new name servers being displayed. This simply means that the update has been done successfully.
Things to Keep In Mind
As soon as you have done the necessary changes to your name servers on the registrar, the DNS propagation will take place and this could take 24 to 48 hours to be finished. At this time, your website and your email might not be available for you to access. In addition, all customers who availed of Hostgator web hosting services will have the option to modify their domain DNS right on their control panel interface. For more information about this, refer to the support portal home section of the website of Hostgator.