Can You Start a Website with Namecheap Domain Name with Hostgator Web Hosting?
Creating a website would require using the help of a web hosting provider. One of the best web hosting providers these days is Hostgator. The company has been providing different kinds of web hosting services to millions of websites worldwide. They are known for their excellent quality of service at such very reasonable prices. If you are using Hostgator now as your web hosting provider for your website, then you are definitely on the right track.
But the question is, “can you use a domain name provided by other domain registrars for your website, such as Namecheap?” Yes, you definitely can. Can you start a website with Namecheap domain name with Hostgator web hosting? This article will show you how.
All about Namecheap
Namecheap is among the most successful web hosting companies these days. Developed in 2000 by Richard Kirkendall, the company is currently based in Los Angeles, California. To date, the company manages more than three million domain names and was voted as among the best domain name registrars in the year 2010. In 2012, Namecheap has been dubbed as the most popular domain name registrar of all time. With all its accomplishments, it’s no doubt why the company is chosen by many for their domain name registration needs.
Determining the Nameservers for your Hosting Account
If you want to use your domain name from Namecheap for your Hostgator web host, then you need to first modify the nameservers for your hosting account. Although Hostgator will not be able to modify the nameservers for you, they can assist you with how you can do this on your own.
But before that, you have to first find out the nameservers of your hosting account. You should know which nameservers you will be using for your Hostgator account and this will depend on the type of hosting as well as the type of server that you use. There are also instructions on Hostgator’s website on how you can determine your nameserver.
Changing the Nameservers
As mentioned, Hostgator won’t be able to modify the nameservers for you but they will provide instructions on how to go about this. Refer below for the instructions:
- First of all, you must first sign in to your account with Namecheap.
- Click your username. This should be found right on the black bar which is located on the top portion of the page.
- Refer to the option that says “Manage Domains”.
- Click the domain for which you want to update the nameservers.
- After that, click the “transfer DNS to Webhost” or the Domain Name Server or DNS setup.
- Click on the “Specify Custom DNS Servers”. This is basically your own DNS Servers.
- Type in the nameservers that you will find the welcome email that you have received from Hostgator.
- When you’re done, click “Save Changes”.
When you are done saving the changes, you might not be able to use your email and website yet, because the DNS propagation will take place and this could take up to 48 hours. You will receive a notification when it’s over.