Building Websites at Hostgator with 1 & 1 Registered Domain Name
Some of those who are building websites would make use of a domain name registered from another company instead of using the domain name registered on the hosting provider that they use. For instance, your hosting provider is Hostgator and you use a registered domain name from 1 & 1, which is another web hosting company.
Building websites at Hostgator with 1 & 1 registered domain name? Some might think that doing this is not possible. But yes, this is definitely possible and there is a way to this. So read on to find out how you can build websites at Hostgator by using a 1 & 1 domain name.
All about 1 & 1
1and1 is a web hosting company that has been established in the year 1988. The company is owned and managed by United Internet, a Germany based Internet company. Right now, 1 & 1 is hailed as among the world’s largest web hosting companies having a data center in Europe as well as in Kansas.
The company offers several different kinds of web hosting solutions such as virtual private servers (VPS), cloud servers and dedicated servers. They also offer domain registration services and the company has hosted millions of websites based in Germany as well as the United Kingdom. They also host a lot of websites in the United States, too.
Changing the Nameservers
Usually, if you are using a domain name provided by a third party registrar, Hostgator will require that the nameservers will be modified or changed. But Hostgator does not have the capability to modify the nameservers on your behalf. What they can do is to provide you with the steps on how to do it yourself. As soon as the nameservers have been modified, you can now start building your website through Hostgator using the domain name you registered with 1and1.
Steps to Change the Nameservers
Below are the steps provided by Hostgator on how you can modify the domain name you registered with 1 & 1:
- First, log in to your account with 1 & 1.
- Click on “Domains” which you will find on the Domains & Web Space.
- Click on the check box right next to the domain name that you wanted to modify.
- Afterwards, click on the drop down menu for the DNS which you will find on the toolbar right above the domain names.
- Click on “Edit DNS Settings” from the drop down menu.
- Click on the “radio button” for the DNS right on the domain data section which you can find on the general settings.
- Refer to the basic DNS settings and on the drop down menu, click “My Name Server”. Enter your nameservers on the Advanced DNS Settings.
- Choose “my secondary name server” and type in your secondary name server.
- Click “ok” when you are done making changes.
Remember that as soon as you have made modifications on your nameservers at the registrar, you will have to wait for 24 – 48 hours for the DNS propagation. At this time, your website as well as your email may not be accessible.